We’re building more LEED® Certified Stores around the world.
USGBC’s LEED® programme is a rating system that evaluates a building’s environmental performance and encourages sustainable design. It starts at the beginning of the design stage and continues right through to construction.
We now have LEED® certified stores in 20 countries worldwide and are the first retailer with LEED® certified buildings in France, Germany and Spain.
Starbucks stores make up 20% of all global LEED® certified retail projects and recently celebrated hitting our 1,000th certified store. Learn more about our 1,000TH store here.
Our green stores include:
- LED lighting
- Lighting occupancy in back of house areas
- Heat recovery units to provide efficient heating and cooling into stores
- Zonal temperature controls within the store
- Using Energy Star qualified equipment
- Using recycled flooring tiles
- Using wood products that are Forest Stewardship Council-certified (where available)
- Using paints with lower amounts of volatile organic chemicals
- Installing low-flow valves